Our Mission Message From Our Principal Curriculum Teachers and Staff Student Activities Kinder Programs Rockdale Then and Now
Arts Learning Community School (ALCS) School Library and Reading Garden Edible Garden Field Trips After School Programs and Clubs
The Huntington Library LA Opera Story Pirates/Geffen Playhouse Los Angeles County Museum of Art Local Partnerships
Get Involved PTA Family Nights Supporting Students At Home

Rockdale Then and Now

Rockdale Elementary opened its doors in 1909. The original school was a two-unit wooden structure located by a pond and a stream surrounded by an open field and hills.  In 1928, a beautiful two-story red brick schoolhouse was completed and used until it was deemed unsafe after the 1971 earthquake.

PIcs119 crop lres.jpg

Today Rockdale consists of a modern two-story building with four classrooms, underground parking, an elevator, a beautiful library, a large decorated staff lounge, a modern cafeteria, and a large multipurpose room. Five bungalows around the perimeter of the playground house twelve classrooms. Rockdale has two large, colorful playground structures, a Reading Garden with a beautiful Secret Garden mural, and an edible garden.

RockdalePhoto lres.jpg

Rockdale’s current student body is ethnically diverse, made up of Hispanic, Filipino, White, African-American, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Thai, and American Indian Students.